Graduates of closed schools seek records

Posted at 6:47 PM, Jan 21, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-21 22:12:50-05

The Bryman School, Anthem College and Everest College have all closed within the past two years.

That left students scrambling to transfer credits, figure out financial aid and complete their degrees.

But what about the people who graduated years ago and can't get their records from the now-closed schools?

People like Robert who says he graduated from an Anthem school in 2008 and needs his official transcripts now.

He writes "One time I did get someone to respond to me" but says he hasn't heard back. "I need that transcript. Without that my degree is just a piece of paper," he says.

The Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education regulates private career colleges and trade schools like Anthem. 

And it's the first place you should go to find your old student records.

Executive Director Teri Stanfill tells me they have hundreds of thousands of student records. She also says it takes about a week to process a request.

The exception is old Bryman School students.  

Stanfill says many of those records are still held up in the Anthem bankruptcy proceedings but that UEI College has access to some Bryman files and "have been very helpful in processing those requests." 

She also says the Arizona Attorney General's Office is also working to obtain student records that are caught up the bankruptcy.

In the meantime, former students who are affected may also want to check with former employers and see if they have transcripts in your personnel file.

Need my help? Call volunteers with the Assistance League of Phoenix at (855) 323-1515 or find me on Facebook or Twitter. You can also email me a video of your problem