PHOENIX — Arizona hospitals are hosting blood drives around the state to get through slow Christmas and New Year's holidays.
According to a press release sent to ABC15 from Vitalant (formerly United Blood Services), the holiday season marks one of the lowest weeks of the year for blood donations. January is the highest of the year.
Hospitals are urgently looking for donors who are O-negative and O-positive blood types because this blood type is the most effective during an emergency, but all blood types are needed.
Here are some of hospitals hosting blood drives now through January 16:
- Chandler Regional Medical Center - Dec. 20 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Honor Health - Deer Valley Medical Center - Dec. 20 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Banner Gateway Campus in Gilbert - Dec 27 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa - Dec. 27 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Banner Ironwood Medical Center in San Tan Valley - Dec. 27 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Banner Thunderbird Medical Center in Glendale - Dec. 27 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Banner Boswell Medical Cener in Sun City - Dec. 27 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Chandler Regional Medical Center - Dec. 30 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Banner Gateway Campus in Gilbert - Dec. 30 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Mercy Gilbert Medical Center - Dec. 30 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Mayo Clinic is Scottsdale - Dec. 30 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Honor Health Scottsdale - Jan. 6 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Abrazo Central Campus in Phoenix - Jan. 7 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Phoenix VA Healthcare System - Jan. 8 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Honor Health Scottsdale - Jan. 9 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Western Reg Medical Center in Goodyear - Jan. 14 7:30a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Abrazo West Campus in Goodyear - Jan. 15 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mayo Clinic Scottsdale - Jan. 16, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Phoenix Children's Hospital - Jan. 16 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
If you are interested in donating blood, want to make an appointment, or have questions, call 1-877-258-4825 or visit www.bloodhero.com.