NewsNational News


Tech worker charged with murder in death of college student

Posted at 11:14 AM, Jul 10, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-10 14:14:19-04

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A tech worker was charged Wednesday with murder and kidnapping in the death of a Utah college student whose body was found in a wooded area with her arms bound behind her.

Prosecutors said Ayoola A. Ajayi, 31, was the last person Mackenzie Lueck communicated with on June 17 before she disappeared.

District Attorney Sim Gill also said Lueck's cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, and her body was found with her arms bound behind her.

He did not discuss a motive or possible connection between Lueck and Ajayi.

Gill became emotional as he described the Lueck family's reaction to the charges.

"They asked me to express on their behalf the generosity of so many strangers and friends," he said.

Lueck disappeared shortly after she returned from a trip to her California hometown for the funeral of her grandmother and took a Lyft from the airport to a park, where she met someone.

Cellphone data put Ajayi in the park at the same time, authorities say.

Police have said they later found charred tissue in the backyard of Ajayi's home in Salt Lake City and her body in a canyon 85 miles (138 kilometers) away near the University, of Utah, where she was a student.

Ajayi was arrested June 28 after a search for Lueck that lasted nearly two weeks. He was charged with one count each of aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, obstruction of justice and desecration of a human body.

No attorney has been listed for Ajayi.

Lueck has been remembered as a bubbly, nurturing person. She was a member of a sorority and a part-time senior at the university studying kinesiology and pre-nursing.

Ajayi is an information technology worker who had stints with high-profile companies and was briefly in the Army National Guard.

He has no formal criminal history but was investigated in a 2014 rape allegation and was arrested in a stolen iPad case at Utah State University in 2012. The arrest and the expiration of his student visa led to him being banned from the campus for about three years.

A native of Nigeria, Ajayi is now a U.S. citizen, records show.