Welcome to Arizona State University, new recruits!
As a freshman, you’re part of the class of 2020, about to embark on a studious educational journey toward your dreams — did I lose you? Probably.
OK – let’s start over since you probably skipped the sentence above. For the next four(-ish) years, Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, and Glendale will become your home, depending on which campus you live.
So, what do you do for the next four years? Good thing you asked. Here’s your unofficial bucket list (and pseudo tourist guide) to Arizona.
1. Attend as many football games at Sun Devil Stadium as you can, especially when we face the University of Arizona.
2. Take advantage of “student rush” tickets at ASU Gammage, and see top Broadway shows for half price.
3. Visit all four campuses and take a picture in front of each “Arizona State University” sign.
4. Skip, bike, or long board down the famous Palm Walk.
5. Hike up “A” Mountain. You get a killer view of downtown Tempe (and its Sun Devil tradition).
6. Find the Secret Garden.
7. Attend the Fall Welcome Concert.
8. Join a club or intramural sports team.
9. Stop by career services each year to update your resume, find an internship, or practice your interview skills (you’ll thank us during graduation time).
10. Check out a 3-D astronomy show at the Marston Exploration Theater.
11. FINALS BREAKFAST. Go! Every time. Actually, whenever there is free food on campus, go!
12. Pull an all-nighter, just once. After that, make sure to get enough sleep.
13. Schedule a tour to see the Mars Space Flight Facility. ASU scientists are making history!
14. See a performance from ASU’s MainStage.
15. Go for a bike ride along Mill Avenue during the day.
16. Experience Mill Avenue at night. (Over 21? Show your smarts and have a designated driver.)
17. Learn about ALL of your safety resources on campus. Do not be afraid to ask for help, if you need it. (It wouldn’t hurt to thank an officer for their service, either.)
18. Order a burger and a shake from Steak 'n Shake at 3 a.m.
19. Attend a comedy show at Tempe Improv.
20. Gather a group of friends and spend a day tubing down the Salt River (do not forget sunscreen).
21. Plan a road trip and visit at least one of these places: Jerome, Sedona, Flagstaff, Out of Africa Safari Park, or Grand Canyon National Park.
23. Taste some of the brews from an Arizona brewery (21 and up only here).
24. Take a photo at Old Main.
25. Bring a lot of water and hike up Camelback’s Echo Canyon.
26. Find the “Hole in the Rock” at Papago Park.
27. Go for a walk, jog or run around Tempe Town Lake. One lap is 3 miles.
28. Order the bruschetta at Postino WineCafe. (If you’re 21, order the wine or pitcher of beer.)
29. Take a picture in front of Scottsdale's iconic "LOVE" sculpture, and then grab ice cream at Sugar Bowl.
30. Sign up for a 5K. Races happen all around the city and benefit various charities.
32. Find a Taco Tuesday spot -- or a few spots -- and commit! Tacos every Tuesday.
33. Cheer on the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field.
34. Support the Phoenix Suns, Arizona Rattlers or Phoenix Mercury at Talking Stick Resort Arena.
35. Check out the lions, tigers, and elephants at the Phoenix Zoo.
36. Attend at least one Spring Training game.
37. Head out to Chandler for the annual Ostrich Festival.
38. Grab a coffee and a snack at the Phoenix Public Market.
39. Take advantage of the student discounts at Harkins and AMC theaters.
41. Try your hand at making sushi…or learning to cook something more than microwave ravioli and ramen.
44. Call your mom, dad, grandparents and friends back home at least once a month. (Yes, they want to know you’re safe, but they also want to know that you’re thinking about them. It takes five minutes. Do it.)
45. Test your fear and venture through ASU’s rumored haunted halls…or in October, go through a haunted house.
46. Join the Bird Gang and attend an Arizona Cardinals game at the University of Phoenix Stadium. While you’re there, why not grab a bite to eat at Westgate.
47. Order a pasty from Cornish Pasty Co.
48. If you happen to get lost and find yourself down in Tucson, make sure to grab eegee’s!
49. Tour one of our museums. We have many (i.e., Arizona Science Center, Phoenix Art Museum, Heard Museum, Arizona Museum of Natural History).
*Bonus (51): Remember, you’re a Sun Devil for life. Be nice. Be courteous. Be proud. Make friends. Have fun.
OTHER STORIES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN: