Valley man burned after batteries from e-cigarette explode

PHOENIX - A Valley man is in the hospital with extensive burns after batteries from an e-cigarette exploded.

David Garcia says he was driving down the road when two extra e-cigarette batteries he had in his pocket burst into flames. 

"He called screaming saying he was on fire. My eight year old daughter is the one who answered the phone," says Garcia's wife Sarah Garcia.

David says the flames spread down his leg and burned his hand when he tried to put them out.

"We had someone take a look at the car and they said it looked like his pants were melting to the car," Garcia said. 

ABC15 has covered problems with e-cigarette related fires before.

Garcia says what happened to her husband should serve as a reminder to everyone.

"We know like 20 people who have these pens and it's scary what they can do," Garcia said. 

 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ