Valley teenager injured after e-cig explodes; faces surgery tomorrow to repair burns

MARICOPA, AZ - A Valley 17-year-old is in the hospital after being severely burned by an e-cigarette. 

"It was like bomb going off," said Hailey Boyce. 

Boyce says she was getting ready to use her E-Cigarette when it suddenly exploded. Catching her clothes on fire and leaving her with burns to her chest, arms, side, and hands. 

"I was freaking out. My teeth were chattering I was shaking so bad. It was really really scary," said Boyce.

Boyce is currently in the Burn Unit at Maricopa Integrated Health System. 

She is expected to go into surgery on Tuesday morning but doctors aren't sure how it will turn out. 

"She wants to be beautiful like most other girls and she's afraid that's not going to happen for her," said Boyce's mom Nicole Balloqui. 

After surgery doctors say Boyce might remain in the hospital for the next 1-2 weeks.

 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ