UPDATE FROM ADOT: The Interstate 10 Broadway Curve Improvement Project team has postponed this weekend’s eastbound I-10 closure between US 60 and Loop 202 because of the unanticipated closure of US 60 in Tempe.The eastbound I-10 closure was originally set to begin at 8 p.m. tonight and continue through early Monday morning. Work that was scheduled to occur during the eastbound I-10 closure will be rescheduled for a later date.
Also postponed: sign replacement work on eastbound I-10 that required narrowing it to two lanes between the US 60 and Guadalupe Road through 8 p.m. tonight.
Work that began on westbound I-10 between Loop 202 and US 60 late Friday will continue, and that closure currently remains in place.
The Arizona Department of Transportation will be focusing its attention on Interstate 10 in both the West Valley and the East Valley. For a portion of the weekend, drivers should prepare for the freeway to be closed in both directions.
On their website, ADOT reported the following closures and restrictions:
- Westbound I-10 closed between the Loop 202 (Santan/South Mountain freeways) interchange and US 60 (Superstition Freeway) from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Sunday (May 8) for utility and bridge work as part of the I-10 Broadway Curve Improvement Project. All Loop 202 ramps to westbound I-10 closed. Westbound I-10 on-ramp at Wild Horse Pass Boulevard closed. Expect heavy traffic and delays.
- To bypass this weekend’s I-10 closure, drivers should use the north and southbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) between the east and westbound Loop 202s - Santan and Red Mountain freeways.
- Eastbound I-10 closed between US 60 and the Loop 202 (Santan/South Mountain freeways) interchange from 8 p.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Monday (May 9) for utility and bridge work as part of the I-10 Broadway Curve Improvement Project. Eastbound I-10 HOV ramp to eastbound US 60 closed. Westbound US 60 ramp to eastbound I-10 closed. Eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Broadway Road closed. Expect heavy traffic and delays.
- Detours: Eastbound I-10 traffic can detour to eastbound US 60 and use southbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) to westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) to connect with eastbound I-10 beyond closure. Detour routes from the downtown Phoenix area include using westbound I-10 to southbound/eastbound Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) to connect with I-10 beyond the closure. Drivers also can consider using eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in the Tempe/ASU area to southbound Loop 101 and westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) in Chandler. Please Note: Guadalupe Road closed in both directions near I-10 from 10 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday (May 9) for bridge work.
- Eastbound I-10 closed between Avondale Boulevard and Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) in the West Valley from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Saturday (May 7) for permanent lane striping and other work as part of pavement improvement project. Eastbound I-10 on-ramps at Fairway Drive and Dysart Road also closed.
- Detour: Eastbound I-10 drivers should consider exiting ahead of the closure and using local routes including McDowell or Buckeye roads to travel beyond the closure.
- Westbound I-10 closed between 75th Avenue and Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) from 9 p.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday (May 8) for permanent lane striping and other work as part of pavement improvement project. Northbound Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) ramp to westbound I-10 closed. Westbound I-10 on-ramp at 67th Avenue also closed.
- Detour: Westbound I-10 drivers should consider exiting ahead of the closure and using local routes.