PHOENIX — After more than a decade of planning, pavement removal work will cause closures this weekend in the Valley for the I-10 Broadway Curve Improvement Project. This is 11 miles of roadway between I-10 between I-17 and Loop 202 (the Santan and South Mountain Freeways)
The Arizona Department of Transportation said I-10 westbound will be closed from 10 p.m. on Friday, July 23 until 4 a.m. on Monday, July 26 from the Loop 202 to the US 60.
The department suggests drivers on I-10 westbound exit onto eastbound Loop 202 (Santan) to get on the northbound Loop 101 (Price). Drivers should travel northbound from there to access westbound US 60 to travel on westbound I-10 after this closure. ADOT has created this detour video to help:
ADOT also reported westbound I-10 on-ramps from Loop 202, Chandler Boulevard, Ray Road, Warner Road, and Elliot Road will be closed. They suggested utilizing Baseline Road to get on the I-10 westbound while ramp closures are in place.
To learn more about the project plans from this weekend until late 2024. click here.
ADOT is also hosting a virtual public meeting on Aug. 4 from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. with a presentation beginning at 6 p.m.
To register in English, click here.
To register in Spanish, click here.
Participants can also call into this meeting by dialing 855-756-7520 and extension number 73680# for English or 73681# for Spanish.
ADOT has a couple of other closures this weekend too. These are listed on their website, as well:
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between Tatum Boulevard and Pima Road/Princess Drive from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 26) for lane striping as part of the widening project. Northbound SR 51 ramps to eastbound Loop 101 closed. Eastbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Cave Creek Road also closed. Allow extra travel time.
- Detour: Alternate freeway routes to the East Valley include southbound I-17 or southbound SR 51 to reach eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway). Local traffic can consider using eastbound Bell Road/Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard to travel beyond the Loop 101 closure.
- Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane in either direction overnight between Verrado Way and State Route 85 in Buckeye from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights (July 25-29) for initial paving work as part of the widening project.
- Detour: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely when approaching and traveling through work zones.
- Northern Arizona Travel Note: Interstate 40 lane restrictions should be expected this summer in the Flagstaff area for resurfacing and bridgework. I-40 narrowed to one lane in work zones. Drivers should allow extra time and consider traveling outside of peak traffic hours - including on weekends.