5 things to know to get a bigger tax refund

Posted at 2:36 PM, Feb 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-03 16:37:04-05

You've worked hard all year.

You paid your taxes. If you overpaid, make sure you get back all the money you're owed.

Here are five things to keep in mind when filing your taxes:

Don't pay to have your taxes prepared: According to 70 percent of the nation's taxpayers are eligible for IRS Free File. The website also lists companies that offer free software.

American Opportunity Tax Credit: If your kids are in college, you can get up to $2,500. If you file single there's an $80,000 income limit.  Double that number if you're filing jointly.

Earned income tax credit: If you made any money during the year see if you qualify for this credit, it could be up to $400.

Write off medical or dental expenses: You may be able to write-off prescription medication, glasses and hearing aids. You'll need proof of purchase.

Saver's credit: If you have an IRA or employee sponsored retirement plan, you could get up to $1,000. There are eligibility requirements so make sure to check those.