Normally, when you think of candy and dentists, cavities might come to mind, but not Thursday! Turn in your treats for some cash!
J Philipp Dentistry in Gilbert is doing its annual candy buyback program! All day Thursday, kids will get $2 per pound of candy that is brought in. There is a limit of five pounds of candy. So, that means your kids can score up to $10!
So, why does a dentist want to collect candy? All the candy will be donated and shipped to American troops as part of Operation Gratitude. That way, our real-life heroes can have a "taste of home".
Last year, they collected up to 600 pounds. This year, the goal is to reach 1,000 pounds!
Dr. Philipp told us this is a good way to protect your kid's teeth too! Plus, he told us there are good candies and bad candies.
Check this out:
The Good Candies
- Sugar-free lollipops stimulate saliva production, which flushes away bacteria.
- Chocolate melts quickly and it's best to stick to plain.
- Sugar-free gum helps dislodge food particles and stimulates saliva production, which can prevent tooth decay.
The Bad Candies
- Sticky, chewy treats like gummy bears, caramel and taffy stick to your teeth. Generally, the stickier the candy, the worse it is for your teeth.
- Sour candies have high acid levels that break down tooth enamel.
- Hard candies stay in your mouth longer, coating it with sugar.
- Jawbreakers can actually chip your teeth
IF YOU GO:
3230 S. Gilbert Road, Suite 4
Chandler, AZ 85286
8 a.m. until 4 p.m. to donate
Here are some additional tips from Dr. Philipp:
Set a time to eat candy. Kids need to know that eating sweets isn't a non-stop activity. Moderation is key and when kids know they have a specific 'treat time' they're less likely to think about candy at other times.
Brush and floss after eating sweets and make it fun. Let kids pick out their brushes and pastes, just make sure the toothpaste contains fluoride.
Talk about oral health. Halloween shouldn't be about the message that "candy is bad for you" but that "excess" is not good for your teeth. It's not just candy, but also fruit juices and snacks like pretzels.