Posts on social media have led one Valley school district to send a letter out to warn parents.
Those with children attending Oasis Elementary, in the Peoria Unified School District, received a letter after some parents came forward and told administrators someone was targeting their children on Instagram.
School officials say the students are all in middle school and whoever sent them the post was requesting those kids send inappropriate pictures of themselves.
Homeland Security Investigations is now involved.
HSI officials are not releasing any information on the case because it is very early in the investigation.
The school did send out some advice to help students and parents stay safe:
- Make sure all social media accounts that exist have profile settings set to private
- Do not friend or communicate with strangers
- Never share inappropriate content/photos with others
- Be extremely cautious sharing any personal information about yourself with others online
- Know your child’s online passwords
- If your child feels they are being targeted or threatened in any way, tell a trusted adult (parent, teacher, principal)