NewsSoutheast Valley NewsTempe News


McClintock Drive overpass at US 60 opens once again following second closure

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.34.57 PM.png
Posted at 5:24 PM, May 11, 2022
and last updated 2022-05-13 01:11:41-04

TEMPE — Officials say the McClintock Drive overpass has once again reopened after being shut down a second time.

The original shutdown, announced Wednesday morning, was initiated for structural evaluations amid a weekend water line break.

It was reopened later in the day on Wednesday, but was again shut down around noon Thursday.

“ADOT & city engineers are evaluating possible settling cracks in a few bridge column supports where there was standing water,” the city said Wednesday.

A new photo from highway officials shows the type of cracking found along a column that helps hold up the McClintock Drive overpass in Tempe.

The overpass has been shut down for the second time because of possible impacts from the water main break at U.S. 60, although it is unclear why officials enacted the newest closure.

ABC15 received a photo of the cracking on one of the columns and were told that two of the four total columns have some type of surface cracks.

On Wednesday, the overpass bridge was shut down for a few hours after officials discovered the cracking, but the road was later reopened.

A spokesperson for ADOT said in an email, “The structure is deemed safe to carry traffic and this spalling will be monitored.”

ADOT also said the latest closure on Thursday is not related to the structure of the overpass, and the closure was not at their request. Tempe officials tweeted that one lane in each direction on the overpass has reopened Thursday afternoon.

A 24-inch water transmission line broke on the north side of the US 60 freeway, between the pedestrian bridge and overpass at McClintock Drive.

According to a City of Tempe representative, the break is up to 22 feet beneath the surface.

According to the city, eastbound lanes of the 60 have the least amount of damage and are expected to be open by early next week. Westbound lanes have the most amount of damage and no timeline for reopening has been released.

The city says no one is without water living close to the break and there are no reports of low water pressure.

The 50-year-old steel cylinder pipe that burst was expected to last 75 years, according to the city.