Vet injured in hit-and-run out of hospital

Posted at 10:56 PM, Apr 14, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-15 12:15:17-04

A Valley veteran who was run over while trying to help a woman in need now has a message for the suspect as he heads to jail. 

Steven Richardson just got home from the ICU after a terrible ordeal one week ago. 

The suspect who allegedly ran him over, Cody Gibson, isat the Fourth Avenue Jail in downtown Phoenix. He was located on the Gila River Indian Reservation on Thursday where he was hiding for about a week.

"I'd just walk up to him right now and shake his hand and say, 'nice try, but you didn't succeed,'" said Richardson.

Richardson still has a lot of pain and is experiencing short-term memory loss. 

"The top of my skull is tender to the touch," said Richardson.

The incident happened last Thursday, when Richardson and his friend say they saw a man dragging a woman by her hair through the parking lot near Riggs Road and McQueen Road. 

Richardson says the suspect got behind the wheel of an SUV and hit the gas. Richardson was thrown up onto the hood and suffered severe head injuries that landed him in the ICU for a week.

RELATED: Veteran run over by SUV after trying to help woman speaks to ABC15

Chandler police said Cody Gibson was the suspect sought in the hit-and-run. 

Steve's wife Samantha says Chandler Police gave her a message from Gibson.

"He said he was sorry and he didn't mean for that to happen," said Samantha. "But I have no sympathy for him."

Now the family is back together in Chandler. Richardson is thankful to be out of the hospital.

"This right here is my heaven," said Richardson as he hugged his two sons. "This is what I live for."

Even though the ordeal almost took his life, Richardson says he wouldn't change a thing.

"Somebody is in need of help, we don't have to look away, we have to try and help that person," said Richardson.

Samantha set up a GoFundMe page for her husband. She had an original goal of $15,000. They reached more than $18,000.

Richardson said he had no idea about the account until he was out of the hospital. 

"I just want to say thank you to everyone who donated and helped me and my family," said Richardson.