NewsPhoenix Metro NewsSouth Phoenix News


Police chief praises 'heroism, bravery' as officers recover after Phoenix standoff

Posted at 5:59 PM, Feb 14, 2022
and last updated 2022-02-16 19:58:47-05

PHOENIX — Nine officers injured in the line of duty in a shooting and standoff early Friday are expected to recover. This comes after the officers were ambushed by now-deceased Morris Richard Jones III.

An officer hurt in the incident spoke at a Wednesday press conference about the dangerous confrontation. Watch live in the player below.

Officials confirmed Wednesday morning that the ninth officer hurt in the standoff had been released from the hospital.

In a Monday one-on-one interview with ABC15, Phoenix police Chief Jeri Williams said all of the officers were still in great spirits despite the dangerous events of early Friday morning that put many at risk.

When asked how Williams digested Friday’s situation, she said, “Probably in bits and pieces, to be honest. You get that initial call of a ‘Triple Nine.’ When you're instantly awakened, the first thing you want to do is get information. If the information doesn't come, you do what you know, jump in the shower, put the uniform on, get ready to roll to see how your people are doing.”

Around 2:15 a.m. Friday, Phoenix police responded to a report of a woman shot near 51st Avenue and Elwood Street. Investigators say when police got there, the suspect, later identified as Jones, invited an officer into the home.

Williams says, "The initial officer showed up to help. The other four (officers) showed up to help, showed up to assist, not realizing and recognizing what they were walking themselves into.”

That’s when police say Jones opened fire.

“I marvel at the tenacity,” says Williams. “Of the heroism, of the bravery, but I'm extremely maternal as people know.”

Police said Monday an autopsy confirmed Jones shot and killed himself inside the home. Jones' former girlfriend, 29-year-old Shatifah Lobley was also found dead inside the house. Monday, dozens of bullet holes in the front door of the home and boarded windows could still be seen.

Lobley’s 1-month-old daughter, caught in the middle of the ambush, is alive and now in DCS custody.

Chief Williams hoping that attacks on officers across the country end. She says that domestic situations remain some of their most challenging to deal with.