NewsPhoenix Metro News


Woman dead after shooting near 36th Street and Shea Blvd

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 8.15.25 PM.png
Posted at 8:26 PM, Mar 24, 2022
and last updated 2022-03-25 21:53:58-04

PHOENIX — Phoenix police are investigating a deadly shooting Thursday night at a house near 36th Street and Shea Boulevard.

"We're all sitting out in the driveway and out of nowhere just..." a neighbor told ABC15.

He says he and his family were having a gathering on their front lawn when, suddenly, 11 back-to-back gunshots could be heard.

Roughly four seconds later, a 12th one rang out.

“Then, we all scattered,” he added.

"They just moved in, so I thought it was a remodeling project, and the smoke was from you know sawdust or a machine," said another neighbor.

Officers were called to the home after 5 p.m. where they located 54-year-old Amy Malobicky, mother of three, motionless outside with obvious signs of trauma.

Neighbors say that's the home Malobicky and her husband moved into in January.

Several units, including an armored S.W.A.T. vehicle, surrounded the house and blocked the surrounding streets for several hours.

“I think it’s one of those things you can never prepare for,” said Scott Malobicky, Amy Malobicky’s oldest son.

Scott was too emotional to go on-camera, still in shock his mother is gone.

“Always saw the best in people. Was just like a constant fountain of support. Honestly. That’s what I’ll miss the most,” he told ABC15.

A 44-year-old man had barricaded himself inside the house for several hours. Police tell ABC15 non-lethal rounds were fired, and it wasn't until a K-9 was sent in that the man was detained.

Malobicky died on scene.

Scott added Malobicky was a wonderful mother to her children, and a loving friend.

When neighbors had a time to stop and reflect:

“It’s just hard, and shocking,” one told ABC15.

“Very scary that our kids are out playing…and there’s gunshots two houses away,” added another.

Meantime, this is what Scott says he just wants his mom to know he and his siblings loved her very much.

“I miss you. It was unexpected…just take it one step at a time…it’s one of those things we’re going to have to get through as a family,” he said, in tears.

The man is now in the hospital being treated for his injuries.

Police haven't released the identity of the man.

The investigation is ongoing.