FD: Fire breaks out at Phoenix LGBTQ youth foundation

Posted at 12:12 PM, Jul 12, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-12 20:36:53-04

Phoenix Fire officials say a fire broke out at a community youth center on Wednesday. 

The fire broke out near 3rd Street and Weldon around 11 a.m. at a building that houses a youth foundation called one n ten

Fire crews made a quick attack and stopped the fast-moving blaze. No injuries were reported. 

Officials first told ABC15 crews on scene that the fire appeared to be suspicious, however, they now say the fire may have been the result of spontaneous combustion between batteries and rags in a hot unventilated room.

Fire officials said spontaneous combustion is "a byproduct of spontaneous heating, which occurs when a material increases in temperature without drawing heat from its surroundings. If the material reaches its ignition temperature, spontaneous ignition or combustion occurs." 

They said oily rags, hay and other agricultural products are prone to spontaneous combustion. They said to prevent any similar events with oily rags, the rags should be kept in well-covered metal cans and/or dried well. 

Stay with ABC15 for updates.