Rodney Yemm sees the past in every nook and cranny in his home. However, today is a new story with a different view. There's now an uncertain future that hangs over his head.
"It’s miserable," Yemm said.
What he’s looking at isn't a remodel — it's a disaster.
A fire broke out inside his home three weeks ago. It destroyed his ceiling, the electricity and left a gaping hole.
“When the storms come in and the monsoons come in and it blows through the vents I get all the insulation and all that stuff comes in through here,” Yemm showed ABC15.
Rodney's daughter, Jennifer, is remembering better days inside the home today. The home has been a beloved part of the family for more than 50 years. It's also where Rodney was raised.
"It’s a small house. It’s hard to put a lot of people in here but we made it work. This is home you know," Yemm said.
The family refuses to call it a complete loss — even if the outlook is grim. Rodney still lives inside and work to repair the home can’t be done yet.
The family is currently tied up in a battle with their insurance company. There’s a chance they could have to pay out of pocket.
"It hurts us. We're doing all we can to help him and we will do whatever it takes to get this fixed," said Jennifer said.
If they can keep the home then there will certainly be more memories made. If you’d like to help you can visit the GoFundMe set up by the family here.