Gas prices in Arizona have reached the highest point since 2014 and are averaging around $3 per gallon.
According to AAA Arizona, gas prices have jumped more than 21 cents in the last month, skyrocketing into the Memorial Day holiday. AAA says prices are 70 cents more than last year around this time.
Our neighbors in California are paying quite a bit more than our $3 average and the highest prices in the country at an average of $3.71 per gallon.
Here are five easy ways to help increase gas mileage and save fuel from AAA Arizona:
- Maintain your vehicle. Change oil, replace filters, keep your tires properly inflated and top off fluids as recommended by your car's manufacturer to maximize your vehicle's efficiency. According to the Department of Energy, fixing a vehicle that has failed an emissions test can improve its gas mileage by an average of 4 percent.
- Drive mindfully. On city streets, avoid sudden stops and starts, both of which lower fuel efficiency. On road trips, use cruise control to maintain a steady speed. At highway speeds, slowing down by 5 to 10 mph can boost fuel economy anywhere from 7 to 14 percent, according to the Department of Energy.
- Lighten your load. Every 100 pounds of cargo reduces fuel economy by about 1 percent, so remove unnecessary items from the trunk and elsewhere. Rooftop cargo boxes create a mileage drag that can lower fuel economy from around 2 percent on city streets to 25 percent at Interstate speeds, according to the Department of Energy. As such, remove rooftop cargo boxes when they're not in use.
- Buy Top Tier. According to AAA testing, gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards for enhanced engine-cleaning detergent additives keeps engines significantly cleaner than other tested fuels. Long-term use of a gasoline without an enhanced additive package can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2 to 4 percent, drivability issues, and increased emissions.
- Shop around. Consumers can easily shop around online by using tools such as the free AAA app, which displays the lowest gas price near the user on the home screen.