Valley cities are taking action, hoping people who live in flood-prone areas will be proactive and use sandbags to safeguard against flooding as Mother Nature unleashes round after round of wet weather this week.
Phoenix announced Tuesday morning that sand would be provided at 11 stations across Phoenix, including Fire Station #16 in south Phoenix.
"I always like to talk about being more proactive than reactive," explains Capt. Aaron Ernsberger with Phoenix Fire. "If it's flooded in your area before and you haven't done anything to mitigate that, to prevent that, chances are it's going to happen again."
The city warns sand is available on a first come, first serve basis. You must also bring your own bags and shovel. Find sand bag locations in Phoenix here
Mesa is also offering sand and bags for residents at five locations:
- Fire Station 202, 830 S. Stapley Drive
- Fire Station 204, 1426 S. Extension
- Fire Station 205, 7035 E Southern
- Fire Station 212, 2430 S. Ellsworth
Scottsdale began offering sand bags to residents on Wednesday, Jan. 6.
Sand and bags are available 24 hours a day:
- Corporation Yard, 9379 E. San Salvador
- District 1 Police Headquarters, 7601 E. McKellips Road
- Solid Waste Transfer Station, 8417 E. Union Hills Drive