Banner Health warns public after contaminated soft drinks discovered in Mexico

Health officials are warning the public after drug-laced soft drinks were discovered in Mexico.

Banner Health released a statement on Thursday saying 7-Up in Mexicali, Mexico was recently discovered to be contaminated with methamphetamine. 

An investigation into how the soft drink bottles were tampered with is underway. 

Health experts are reminding people to check the seal on food and drinks before consumption. If there’s an odd color, taste or smell, immediately throw away the product.

Symptoms of soft drink contamination include: 

  • Irritation of mouth or throat
  • Abnormal taste in mouth or throat
  • Burning in the esophagus or abdomen
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Fast or irregular heartbeat

People who believe they’ve consumed a contaminated product should immediately contact the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222. If significant symptoms develop, call 911 immediately. 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ