Bruce Arians: Cardinals not interested in adding Colin Kaepernick

Quarterback Carson Palmer will be sidelined for several weeks and possibly the rest of the season with a broken left arm he suffered in Sunday's loss to the Rams.

Some fans and experts have suggested the Cards should sign a free-agent quarterback to start in Palmer's place -- namely, free-agent quarterback and political activist Colin Kaepernick.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has made it clear that backup QB Drew Stanton, who finished Sunday's game in London, will be the team's starter in Palmer's absence -- and he's not interested in signing another QB to the active roster, including Kaepernick.

When asked Monday whether he's interested in Kaepernick, Arians said the team is already set with two quarterbacks on the active roster -- Stanton, who will start in Palmer's place, and Blaine Gabbert, a former 49ers quarterback whom the Cardinals signed in May.

"We've never had more than two (quarterbacks) on our roster since I've been here. We liked Blaine Gabbert so much that we kept him this year, so we're really where we always are, and not looking (for another quarterback)," Arians said, adding the team might look to add a QB to its practice squad.

The 29-year-old Kaepernick played six seasons for the 49ers and led them to a Super Bowl XVLII appearance. During last year's preseason, he became the first NFL player to refuse to stand during the national anthem, later explaining he did so in protest of racial inequality and police brutality against minorities. Dozens of NFL players have since joined Kaepernick's protests, especially after President Trump called for those who do sit or kneel during the anthem to be "fired."

Last week, Kaepernick filed a grievance against NFL owners for alleged collusion that has prevented him from being signed by another team.

Arians originally predicted Palmer would miss at least eight weeks of action, but on Monday said Palmer could return in four to six weeks.

Print this article Back to Top