During monsoon, dust storms can develop quickly and without a lot of warning. The Arizona Department of Transportation's number one tip to stay safe during monsoon is: don't drive through a dust storm.
However, if you find yourself on the road when the dust is rolling in, here are some tips.
- Begin to slow down and check traffic around you
- Pull off the road as soon as possible
- Turn off all lights including emergency flashers
- Set your emergency brake and take your foot off the brake
- Stay in your vehicle with your seatbelt on till the storm passes
ADOT stays on top of the storms from their traffic operations center and always keeps drivers in the loop with overhead message boards and social media.