News

Actions

Sec. of State puts blame on polling place cuts

Posted at 4:48 PM, Mar 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-28 15:36:56-04
Arizona's top election official says long lines at polling places across Maricopa County at last week's presidential primary were primarily due to the county's decision to cut polling places.
 
Secretary of State Michele Reagan said Monday she was aware that the county planned to cut polling places to 60 from 200 in 2012 and 400 in 2008.
 
But Reagan says she "didn't second-guess" the decision by county Recorder Helen Purcell.
 
Reagan says she wishes she would have called Purcell to express concern but did not do so. She says she's taking responsibility for that failure.
 
She says even if she had, county officials have no obligation to make changes and she had no authority to order them.
 
A House committee is hearing testimony on the election problems.

Take a look at the timeline below for a full recap on what has transpired from the polling issues at the presidential preference election in Arizona. For a full-screen view, click here.