Did you know that you can plant savings with shade trees? A member of the Salt River Project told us that a fully-grown tree can help reduce the annual energy bill by $50!
SRP offers a free shade tree program where residential customers can get up to two free desert-adapted trees. They are about four-to-six foot saplings. You won't need to use a lot of water, and the shade can help with energy and comfortability too.
SRP's Clare Felix said, "When you're in the shade, it's about 20 degrees cooler than when you're outside the shade... We offer two FREE shade trees with our program. You attend the workshops, get educated by our arborists, and then you'll be able to get your trees and plant them."
Felix continued, "They'll help you find the best place in your yard to plant the tree, where you'll get optimal shade. It [the tree] needs to be at least 15 feet away from exterior walls or windows, and on the south, east or west-facing side of your home to really help with energy efficiency."
They offer all kinds of varieties for your yard, and you can mix and match your two freebies.
There are two workshops coming up on August 18, one at 8 a.m. and another at 10 a.m. They are about an hour long, and will take place at Marcos de Niza High School in Tempe . Click here to register for August 18 or click here to see other dates.
Space is limited, so you'll want to reserve your spot by signing up online soon!
Because of the heat, those who attend the workshop on August 18 will not pick up their trees until September 22 at PERA Club when the temperatures are cooler.
Also, make sure that your HOA allows you to plant the shade trees.
Felix said, "This program helps to beautify our environment. They offer more oxygen. Planting a tree does good for everyone."
And it's good for your wallet too!
Here is more information sent to us by SRP:
Plant savings with free shade trees:
- Cool up to $50 off your annual energy bill
- SRP's Shade Tree Program provides customers up to two free desert-adapted trees (approximately 4-to-6 foot saplings) to plant in energy-saving locations around your home. Shading your home helps reduce cooling costs, improve air quality and lower the Valley's heat effect-without using a lot of water.*
To receive a free tree, participants are required to attend a free workshop to learn how to best plant and care for your trees. Space is limited. Reserve your spot by signing up online.
- You must be a current residential SRP customer, attend a Shade Tree workshop and:
- Have the legal right to plant trees on the property
- Plant trees on the south, west and east sides of your home
- Plant trees within 15 feet of exposed exterior walls and windows
- Have the ability to care for the tree, as needed
- Have not previously received trees for the property from an SRP shade tree workshop
- For more information, call (602) 325-1254
Tweetable tree-hugging facts provided by SRP:
- Trees produce nearly 260 pounds of oxygen per tree each year
- Trees remove up to 2.6 tons of carbon dioxide each year per acre of trees
- Trees can make buildings up to 20 degrees cooler in the summer
- Before you plant a tree, call Arizona811 to find out where existing underground lines are located. One call to this free service notifies the appropriate local utilities, which send technicians to the requested site to mark the approximate location of existing underground lines.
SRP reserves the right to change or terminate this program without prior notice.
SRP customers must register and attend a tree planting workshop to be eligible for the SRP Shade Tree Program. You'll learn more about the eligible trees, and the best methods for planting and caring for the new trees. The workshops will be conducted by Trees Matter.
Two workshops will be held per day at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.
Note: Attendees of workshops held June through August will receive their shade trees on Sept. 22, 2018 when temperatures are cooler and trees can be planted.
Sat., Aug. 18, 2018
Location: Marcos De Niza High School
Note: Attendees will receive trees at SRP's shade tree pickup event at PERA Club on Sept. 22, 2018, when temperatures are cooler.
Sat., Oct. 13, 2018
Location: Apache Junction High School
2525 S Ironwood Drive
Apache Junction, AZ 85120
Sat., Nov. 10, 2018
Location: Chandler Center for the Arts
250 N Arizona Ave.
Chandler, AZ 85225