PHOENIX — We've seen wireless charging pads for as little as $9.99 to over $100. So, your Smart Shopper Team is testing out one that's on the lower end of that price range to see if it works!
It's the absolute worst when your phone is starting to die, but you need it! So, we're testing out a product where you don't have to plug your phone in to get the extra charge.
Behold the PowerXcel QI Wireless Charging pad! Ours came in a box with three components: the instruction manual, USB cable and the wireless charging pad.
We followed the instructions and connected the USB cable to a power outlet and the micro USB input of the charging pad. The manual said the red LED light shows that it's on, and ours replicated that display. It was working.
The instructions did not say I had to remove my phone case, so we tested it out to see if the charge would make it through my thick, blinged-out case. As soon as I set my iPhone X down on the wireless charging pad, it starting charging immediately. When the phone starting charging, the red LED light changed to a blue LED light.
There are lots of safety tips to consider. We paraphrased some that are in the instruction manual:
- Keep it away from extreme temperatures, humidity, water and other liquids. Don't operate if it has to prevent distortion, electric shock, explosion or injury.
- Extreme heat or extreme cold can destroy the battery and plastic parts. So, don't leave this in your vehicle.
- Don't use the unit if it's been dropped or damaged in any way.
- Keep it away from dust and lint.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning solvents on the device.
- The clear LED indicator area can scratch. So, be careful!
The pad where the phone rests is non-slip, so that's a bonus!
We bought ours at CVS Pharmacy for $19.99, and this version is compatible with iPhone 8 and up, as well as Samsung 6 and up. So, where does PowerXcel QI Wireless Charging pad rank on our Bull or No Bull Meter? I'm going with... NO BULL! Be sure to read the reviews though. Some complained that it didn't work with their phones. So, make sure your phone type is compatible. Others complained that the actual time it takes to charge was slow.
Let us know what you think! And email us what other products you want us to try before you buy!