Man says he contracted 'flesh-eating bacteria' after visiting Valley splash pad

PEORIA, AZ - A Glendale man is speaking up to warn others after being diagnosed with a “flesh-eating bacteria” after spending time at a Valley splash pad.

Jonathan Daggett checked into Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center after visiting a splash pad on Sunday, June 11. Dr. Frank LoVecchio said it’s hard to pinpoint where Daggett contracted the infection, but the temperature could have played a role.

“Unfortunately, as the heat goes up, you’re more likely to develop bacteria and bacterial growth,” LoVecchio said. 

“My message is pretty much, be careful with your kids. Investigate their body. Look and see if they have any cuts or wounds. It’s not a joke. It’s really serious,” Daggett said, warning others to be aware and understand how serious an infection like his can be.

As of Sunday, Daggett remained hospitalized and is still being treated for the issue. 

Banner Hospital recommends those experiencing symptoms similar to what Daggett described to call their primary care physician.

ABC15 is not identifying the splash pad Daggett says he visited because we have not independently confirmed it was the source of his bacterial infection.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ