CO alarm saves Peoria family overnight

Posted at 5:53 AM, Apr 22, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-22 08:58:44-04

Peoria Fire-Medical Department says a carbon monoxide alarm is credited with saving the lives of five people who didn't realize dangerous gases were trapped in their home.

The alarm sounded at the home near 87th Avenue and Cactus Road around 10:15 p.m. Thursday night. Firefighters arrived on scene and found high levels of carbon monoxide in the upper level of the two-story home.

Two young children were among the five people in the home and crews measured high levels of carbon monoxide in their systems.

Officials say the carbon monoxide came from a work truck with a generator that was running in their driveway on Thursday. The gases were then trapped in the garage and then traveled into the home.

The children were taken to the hospital for treatment and were in serious but stable condition.

Fire officials say because the alarm was functioning properly, the family escaped further complications or even death.

Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, is created by cars, generators, engines, home heating appliances and anything else that burns fossil fuels.

Peoria Fire-Medical suggests getting at least one carbon monoxide monitor for each level of your home, testing them regularly and replacing batteries yearly.