NewsWest Valley NewsPeoria News


Car left running in Peoria garage, family exposed to carbon monoxide

Posted at 2:50 PM, Jan 25, 2018

Fire officials are investigating after a family was exposed to carbon monoxide in Peoria.

Peoria fire said they responded to a home near 75th Avenue and Thunderbird Road on Thursday morning after a vehicle was left running in the garage overnight. 

"It's one of those things where it's a mistake, and it's real easy to sit in judgement...but this is why we plan for things like this," said Tim Eiden, spokesman for Peoria Fire and Medical Department.

Sandy Esber told ABC15 she accidentally left her vehicle running, as she had turned it on late Wednesday night when a friend came over to check how much gas she had left in the tank. 

"I've gone through it over and over in my head how I didn't hear it, and I don't know, I just didn't," said Esber. 

According to officials, the family was suffering effects of CO exposure.

Esber says she finally noticed in the morning the vehicle was running but didn't immediately realize the damage done. She and her five-year-old son began feeling ill. 

"Everything was spinning, I started seeing really blurry, my legs felt like they were going to collapse," Esber said. "I was just like praying to God to help me make it to the front door."

Esber's 5-year-old son was transported to the hospital in stable condition. 

"Fortunately, everybody was OK but if you're sleeping where those elevated levels of CO come — that's something you can maybe not wake up from," Eiden said.

Peoria fire said there were other children in the house, but they did not show any symptoms. Crews found very elevated levels of CO in the house. Lower levels were found in bedrooms. 

Fire officials are now reminding the public to purchase carbon monoxide alarms. They can be purchased for about $25.

Esber says she and her children are now doing fine and she has since bought a carbon monoxide alarm. 

"I would encourage everyone to go and get one," said Esber.