Nitric acid prompts hazmat emergency in Glendale

Glendale fire
Posted at 12:54 PM, May 10, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-10 20:26:04-04

Glendale Fire officials say nitric acid at a manufacturing business prompted a two-alarm hazardous materials response on Monday afternoon.

Fire officials say employees at an electroplating company near 53rd Avenue and Camelback Road were filling a nitric acid container when it started reacting with aluminum. 

Phoenix Police Department also provided information about the incident, stating that an employee pulled a hazard alarm after smelling the acid fumes.

Three people are being taken to the hospital for treatment, but there is no word on the severity of their injuries, fire says.

No outside evacuations have been put in place.

Stay with ABC15 for updates.