NewsSoutheast Valley NewsTempe News

Actions

FD: Bluetooth speaker sparks fire at Marcos De Niza High School

tempe hs fire.PNG
Posted at 10:48 AM, Aug 14, 2021
and last updated 2021-08-14 18:32:13-04

TEMPE, AZ — Officials say a fire that sparked at Marcos De Niza High School Saturday morning began after a Bluetooth speaker caught on fire.

The Tempe Fire Department said the speaker caught on fire at the high school near Rural and Guadalupe roads.

Fire crews arrived at the scene and found smoke, leading to a response of about 50 firefighters, crews at the scene told ABC15.

The sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading further but caused water damage inside a building that contained 40 classrooms and three labs, authorities said.

Officials say classes at Marcos will be virtual for at least all of next week due to the circumstances.

No injuries were reported.