Arizona State student describes Samsung cellphone explosion

Posted at 5:21 PM, Sep 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-14 01:45:29-04

An Arizona State University student is speaking out after his cellphone exploded inside his pant pocket. 
"It was honestly the most freaky accident ever,” Lakshman Patel said.

Patel tells ABC15 he was writing an essay for class when all of a sudden he noticed something unusual.

"I hear sizzling first and then I smelled burning,” Patel recalled. “I thought it was my computer at first but then a second after the intense burning sensation just hits my thigh."

Smoke was also rising into his face.  That's when he realized the burn was coming from his Samsung Galaxy S6 Active. 

"I tried to get my pants off as fast as I could,” Patel said. “The next thing I knew my pants and my phone was on the floor and my room was filled with smoke.

Enough smoke to set off his fire alarm.

Patel said what looked like acid was oozing out of the battery portion of his Samsung phone. He was later treated by his physician for an acid burn.

And it could've been worse.

“My screen was facing down to my thigh,” Patel said. “If it had been the other way around…you have the images—that would’ve been my leg.”

Patel decided to take to Facebook to warn other Samsung Galaxy owners.

His Samsung Galaxy S6 Active is a different model than the one Samsung is trading out on its website for similar issues.

He contacted Samsung to let them know what had happened; and so did we.

A Samsung spokesperson emailed us this response:

“Consumer safety is Samsung’s top priority. We are in contact with Mr. Patel, are conducting a thorough investigation into his case, and are doing everything we can to help him. 

We take any instance seriously and reach out to affected customers to investigate the unique circumstances that may have led to the exceptionally rare occurrence.”

Patel confirmed the company is working with him.

"I was very lucky this didn't happen when I was sleeping,” Patel said. “I could've very well passed out from the smoke.”