NewsSoutheast Valley NewsMesa News

Actions

Mesa police confirm arrest in October drive-by shooting

Posted at 6:40 PM, Nov 30, 2020

MESA, AZ — A 29-year-old man has been arrested and faces several charges in connection to a shooting at a pop-up food event in October in Mesa that killed a child and injured several others, Mesa police announced Monday.

In a news release, Mesa police announced the arrest of Larry T. Miller. He faces several charges, including first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, drive-by shooting, endangerment, and aggravated assault, police said.

Last week, family members told ABC15 that an arrest had been made in the case, but specifics were unknown. At the time, Mesa police would not confirm that an arrest had been made.

"This is a large-scale investigation that is ongoing. At this point, we cannot confirm more details than what is currently being released. We anticipate providing the community with a full review of the investigation as soon as we are able," a news release said.

The shooting happened on the evening of Oct. 16 at a pop-up food event near Guadalupe and Dobson roads. Seven people were shot, including four children ranging in age between one and 16.

The one-year-old, identified by his family as Sebastian, died from the injuries he sustained in the shooting. Everyone else was considered to have non-life-threatening injuries.

Related: Mesa father pleading for help after losing his one-year-old son in drive-by shooting

Mesa police on Monday also confirmed that a "physical altercation" occurred two hours prior to the shooting is connected. A spokesperson also confirmed that a silver Kia Soul that was found on Oct. 21 is connected to Miller.

Further details were not released.