A 3-month-old boy has had his second surgery in 11 days after suffering burns on his hand and arm.
The victim's father tells ABC15 that his son underwent his second skin graft surgery Monday at Maricopa Medical Center for an immersion burn.
The Maricopa Medical Center has not been able to identify what kind of liquid was used on the child's arms, the father said.
The suspect is the child's babysitter 24-year-old Brittany Marlene Morton.
Police say that around 5:45 p.m. on Feb. 11, Morton contacted the baby's mother in a Facebook message saying he was having an "allergic reaction."
She also sent the mother a picture of the boy's arm.
The mother responded saying it looked more like a burn and she left work immediately, picked up her son and took him directly to the hospital.
Meanwhile, Mesa police say they talked with the babysitter, who gave them at least three different stories as to how the baby was burned.
First she said he was burned by his bottle, then it was hot coffee that was accidently spilled on him. Finally, police say, she told them she put the boy's hands under a hot water dispenser to clean them, saying she held his hands under the 154-degree water for about 10 seconds.
She told police that his hand turned very red and she put lotion and a sock over it.
The family disputes this claim, saying there was a clear "water line" on his arm showing where his arm was immersed in a liquid.
Police say Morton asked the child's mother to "leave her out of it" if the child was taken to a hospital.
ABC15 talked with Morton who said she was sorry and felt bad about what happened. She said she didn't realize the water was that hot. She said her own children have been taken away from her as a result of what she says was an accident. She said she would never intentionally hurt a child.
Morton has been charged with one count of child abuse.