Valley dog saving lives with viral video

Posted at 10:42 PM, Mar 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-02 12:57:45-05

Dog shaming pictures are designed to make every puppy parent laugh, but one Gilbert dog owner is using it to help save the lives of other dogs.

Dancer, a one-year-old Lab, loves to play and get into things. Her owner says February 12 was no different.

The curious pup made a dangerous discovery inside a gym bag lying on the counter.

"We found an empty container of gum and found that she had eaten all the gum," said Jeni Conner, Dancer’s owner.

Dancer didn’t just have one or two pieces of gum, but 25.

"Dancer ate 10 times what we consider a dangerous dose,” said Dr. Raegan Wells with the Emergency Animal Clinic.

The deadly ingredient that put Dancer in the hospital was Xylitol. It can cause a dog’s blood sugar to drop dangerously low.

"Everyone knows about chocolate, onions and raisins. But no one knows that Xylitol is in gum, toothpaste, peanut butter and vitamins,” said Conner.

Hours after eating the gum, Dancer could barely walk. Conner said she had a seizure on the way to the hospital.

"It was scary for me. I had no idea if she was going to make it. I just clutched the seat watching in terror as she had a seizure."

Conner had to take Dancer to their own clinic, Seville Veterinary Hospital, to get her stabilized before rushing over to the Emergency Animal Clinic.

The experience made her family want to warn others. So they created a video.

"I wanted the story to come from Dancer. I knew that would capture a lot of hearts and a lot of attention,” said Conner.

She hopes the views and shares will help save the lives of other dogs.


Please view this video on Dancer's story and please share. Help us to get the word out on the dangers of xylitol and dogs. Sharing this may save a life! ???

Posted by Jeni Hargrove Connor on Sunday, February 21, 2016