Firefighters in Gilbert were able to extinguish flames from a home on Thanksgiving evening but continued working on hotspots for several hours.
According to officials, smoke was seen coming from a home near Cooper and Guadalupe roads.
Officials said crews fought the flames defensively before gaining control of it. Firefighters were forced at one point to leave the building and fight the flames from the outside after the roof started collapsing in on them.
One person living in the home was treated for smoke inhalation; no firefighters were injured.
Officials say there were seven people inside the home at the time along with six pets. A family was wrapping up their Thanksgiving meal when they noticed smoke in the backyard. As they went outside to investigate, they saw smoke coming from the attic of the home.
The family is being assisted by their neighbor.
"I can't even imagine what they're going through," said one neighbor. "It makes me want to cry."
— Kim Tobin (@KimABC15) November 24, 2016
Video update pic.twitter.com/PAuxpkKNEK
— Gilbert Fire Rescue (@GilbertFireDept) November 24, 2016