Valley News

Actions

Dumpster fire turns dangerous in Chandler; chemicals started the fire; 3 firefighters hospitalized

Posted: 9:39 PM, Aug 08, 2016
Updated: 2016-08-10 02:46:19Z

Three people were sent to a hospital Monday night after a hazardous materials situation in Chandler. 

Crews were called to a dumpster fire at MSR-FSR, a metal cleaning business near Chandler Boulevard and Kyrene Road, Battalion Chief Blas Minor said.

Two chemicals, hydrofluoric acid and nitric acid, had mixed in a dumpster and started a reaction that generated smoke, Minor said.

When firefighters sprayed water on the fire, the brownish-yellow color of the smoke signaled a possibly hazardous situation, Minor said.

Four people were decontaminated at the scene, three of whom were taken to a hospital, Minor said.  One was transported for hypertension, the other two were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Minor said.

The situation leading to the chemicals is under investigation, Minor said.  Crews deemed the area safe and cleared the scene shortly before 10 p.m.