Three people were sent to a hospital Monday night after a hazardous materials situation in Chandler.
Crews were called to a dumpster fire at MSR-FSR, a metal cleaning business near Chandler Boulevard and Kyrene Road, Battalion Chief Blas Minor said.
HazMat scene in Chandler near Chandler Blvd /Kyrene. FD: Started as dumpster fire; water reacted w/ what was inside. pic.twitter.com/BANvZzjHQ1
— Jon Erickson (@JonEricksonTV) August 9, 2016
Two chemicals, hydrofluoric acid and nitric acid, had mixed in a dumpster and started a reaction that generated smoke, Minor said.
When firefighters sprayed water on the fire, the brownish-yellow color of the smoke signaled a possibly hazardous situation, Minor said.
Four people were decontaminated at the scene, three of whom were taken to a hospital, Minor said. One was transported for hypertension, the other two were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Minor said.
The situation leading to the chemicals is under investigation, Minor said. Crews deemed the area safe and cleared the scene shortly before 10 p.m.