A Chandler family arrived home to find it on fire and their pets locked inside.
Chandler Fire crews were able to knock down the flames and rescue two cats. The family’s dog found its way out.
“All life is precious so pets are members of our families,” Fire engineer Robert Zaruba said. “We have an emotional attachment to them so we make every effort to save all life.”
Zaruba used a Fido bag to give one cat oxygen.
“Basically their head gets inserted into this mask and oxygen is applied through the end of the mask,” he explained.
The second cat was found hiding under a blanket which protected him from inhaling a lot of smoke.
“That second cat, I found him under the blanket,” said captain Brigid O’Neil. “She had been through a lot and was shocked.”
The Chandler Fire Department said just as they would go in for people, they go in for pets.
Zaruba and O’Neil said the risk is worth the reward.
“For losing their house and everything they had to suffer, it was good to see some good come out of this bad situation for them," Zarba said.