PHOENIX - The Phoenix Fire Department is working on a first-alarm fire at a junkyard.
The fire first started at the junkyard near 35th Avenue and Broadway Road around 2:15 p.m. It was contained around 4:30 p.m.
Firefighters say the fire started in a large pile of debris. Upholstery, tanks that used to contain flammable material, tires and plastics fueled the flames as did windy conditions.
A firefighter recruit working the fire was treated and transported to a hospital after suffering from overheating while battling the flames in hot weather. The recruit is set to graduate from the academy next week, officials said. The firefighter is recovering and expected to be released from the hospital tonight.
Workers of the junkyard told ABC15 they don't know how the fire started. They were out getting lunch when they returned and saw smoke coming from the building.
Employees at nearby businesses were evacuated but the order was later lifted; others were warned to stay indoors due to the heavy smoke and fire.
Fire crews have the fire under control, however they will continue to monitor the fire overnight to check for hotspots.