Lithium batteries fuel fire at Phoenix manufacturing building

Posted at 5:30 PM, May 05, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-06 22:50:13-04

Firefighters battled a blaze at a north Phoenix manufacturing building near Central Avenue and Deer Valley Road on Friday.

According to a Phoenix Fire spokesperson, firefighters received reports around 5 p.m. about the fire at a building that makes batteries and motors for electric vehicles. 

When fire crews arrived they discovered employees had self-evacuated from the building. A business spokesperson told firefighters that they store lithium batteries in the building and it can be extremely hazardous if water is applied to burning lithium. 

The fast-moving fire caused the roof to collapse shortly after firefighters arrived. Crews are now devising a plan to prevent the fire from moving to nearby structures while extinguishing the blaze.

An employee suffered throat irritation due to the flames and is being evaluated. No other injuries were reported.

Stay with ABC15 News and for the latest information.