There are some concerns over a new dessert that is more like edible entertainment, thanks to liquid nitrogen.
You can find "Dragon Breath" at several locations in the Valley. It doesn't get much cooler when it comes time to grab a quick treat.
However, as ABC15's Danielle Lerner found out, there are some things customers need to consider before they dig in.
"On a good day I will sell like 1,000," said Ash, who owns Dragon Breath locations at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Chandler Fashion Center, and Arrowhead Towne Center malls. "We infuse the puff with liquid nitrogen which makes the puff really cold; then we serve the puffs to the customer so as they eat it, that's what makes the smoke. It's not the actual liquid."
It is a dessert made for social media but alongside all the Dragon Breath selfies and videos are real safety concerns from people across the country, particularly those with respiratory issues like asthma.
"It's a bad idea if there's any risk of actually ingesting the liquid nitrogen," said Dr. Ayrn O'Connor, a medical toxicologist at Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix.
Dr. O'Connor says ingesting liquid nitrogen can cause serious internal damage, from thermal injuries to gastrointestinal perforations.
The Frozen Factory at Scottsdale Fashion Square does have a sign, warning customers about how to enjoy Dragon Breath safely.
"If there is some liquid left at the bottom of the cup, don't drink it because it's going to be very cold and it's not safe," said Ash.
Other key takeaways include:
- Don't touch the puffs with your hands
- Use the provided stick to poke and dip the puffs
- People with asthma or food allergies may want to steer clear
- Anyone with sensitive teeth should use their tongue rather than bite directly into it
Still, Dr. O'Connor says proceed with caution.
"I would avoid it," she said. "I think the risk isn't really worth the reward."