PHOENIX — A 15-year-old boy has been arrested after a gun sale went wrong, leading to another student being shot at Cesar Chavez High School Monday.
During a press conference Tuesday, police said at about 3 p.m. Monday, a 16-year-old student brought a gun to the school to sell to another student, a 15-year-old boy.
The transaction took place in one of the school bathrooms.
After the transaction, the 15-year-old student began to leave with the weapon when the 16-year-old student realized the money he received was fake money used for films.
The money had lettering that said, "motion picture use."
The 16-year-old boy then followed the other student and the shooting happened outside the bathroom.
The 16-year-old student was shot, with serious injuries. He remains hospitalized but he is expected to survive and will face charges after release from hospital, including weapon violations, police say.
The 15-year-old student fled the scene and was later taken into custody at a home near the school.
He is facing multiple charges that include endangerment and aggravated assault.
Police say the gun sold, described as a Glock-style poly 80 gun, has not been located.
Both students are active students at Cesar Chavez High School.
During the press conference, police said there is no indication the incident was gang-related.
An investigation remains ongoing.
The high school currently has a school safety officer who is located off-site and comes to campus to take reports if anything occurs, a Phoenix police spokesperson said.
We are on the scene of a shooting at Cesar Chavez High School.— Phoenix Police (@PhoenixPolice) November 29, 2021
This is not an active shooter situation, but the suspect is still outstanding. pic.twitter.com/AbkpVocoDd
Anyone with information is asked to call the Phoenix Police Department or if they would like to remain anonymous and be eligible for a cash reward, they can call Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS (480-TESTIGO for Spanish).
A spokesperson for the Phoenix Union High School District confirmed in a statement that a student had been wounded from a firearm on campus. Classes are expected to resume tomorrow for Cesar Chavez High School and backpacks will not be allowed. See their full statement below.
At Cesar Chavez High School after school today, there was an altercation in a restroom that resulted in a student being injured from a firearm. Local authorities were immediately contacted, and the investigation is ongoing. All other students and staff who were at Cesar Chavez High School are safe. This incident took place after school, and students who remained on campus were directed to Cesar Chavez Park to meet with their parents.
We believe this to be an isolated event and, therefore, school will follow the regular bell schedule. Beginning tomorrow, and until further notice, we will implement the following increased safety and support protocols:
• Entry and exit points on campus will be limited.
• Backpacks will not be allowed.
• Extra safety personnel, including law enforcement, will be highly visible on campus.
• Food deliveries will not be allowed.
• Extra safety measures will be in place near restrooms, during passing periods, at lunchtime, and during arrival, dismissal, and afterschool activities.
• Additional counselors and support staff available for students and staff on site.
The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff remains our highest priority.