PD: Suspect in Phoenix officer-involved shooting had two guns on him

Posted at 5:30 PM, Oct 12, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-12 21:07:17-04

New information has been released from Tuesday night's officer-involved shooting in Phoenix.

The armor body wearing suspect who pointed a weapon at officers multiple times on Tuesday night is recovering after he was struck by police gunfire.

According to the Phoenix Police Department, the 25-year-old man threatened to kill a man near 37th Street and Van Buren Road around 7 p.m.  He apparently told the man, "I could kill you and no one would know." 

The man who was threatened called policed after the incident. Police responded to the scene and found a man who fit the description given to them by the victim.

According to police, the suspect jumped fences, jumped into an alley and ignored officer's commands multiple times.

The man was around the canal and was armed with a handgun; he was also wearing body armor, police said. 

Once the suspect saw police, he ran away from officials but not before throwing a backpack into the canal. 

The man then hid behind a police vehicle and pointed his weapon at police. Officers fired their weapons at the man, who then moved behind an electrical box. The man then pointed his weapon at police a second time. officers then opened fire once again; the man was struck by the officer's bullets. 

The man was taken into custody with the help of a police dog. 

Four officers were involved in the shooting; all are men in their 30s with 7-12 years of experience on the force. 

The man, who has not been identified, is expected to recover from his injuries. The weapon he used during the incident was recovered, as was the backpack that was thrown in the canal. A second handgun was found inside the backpack. 

Sources tell ABC15 the suspect in Tuesday's officer-involved shooting has a criminal history. He was just released from prison in January of 2016 on charges of aggravated assault and misconduct involving weapons. He had warrants out against him. Police have not released the man's name as of Wednesday afternoon. 

Police say the man's movements were "calculated and purposeful."