Now is the time for teens and young adults to start searching for summer employment opportunities.
Vincent Benjamin Recruiting has several tips that could give them an edge in the job hunt:
- Fill out applications using proper grammar, spelling, and sentence structure - you'd be surprised how picky people can be! Don't skip any part of an application, as doing it incorrectly can eliminate applicants from the process.
- Do not call and ask for a hiring manager after you have applied, instead go in-person, dressed professionally with a copy of your resume. Be proactive and pound the pavement.
- If you go into a place in-person, be sure you are prepared and dressed appropriately. People will make snap assumptions about you and you want them to be as positive as possible.
- Always use a referral when you can. Ask people where they work or where their friends work and ask if you can use their name on an application. Having a person's name on your application who already works there will help you immensely.
- Create a resume even if you don't have any work experience. You can include things like school activities, academic groups and volunteer activities. Having one is much better than not having one.
Vincent Benjamin suggests you look for jobs at the following places:
- Indoors or at places that offer relief from the heat since those will be the busiest businesses during summer in the Valley.
- Water parks, recreation centers, museums, and aquariums will also be a big summer hit.
- Many child-care centers will need more help since children are typically out of school during the summer.
- Jobs with the Dbacks and in retail or food services are hiring all the time as well.
Here are some specific job fairs and hiring opportunities in those fields:
- On Wednesday, May 3, Levy Restaurants is holding a job fair to find workers for concession stands at Chase Field. It's happening from 3 to 6 p.m. at Game Seven Grill. You must be at least 19 years old to apply.
- Hire Live is helping fill sales, retail management positions with a job fair Wednesday, May 3 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Grand Phoenix.
- Golfland Sunsplash is looking to fill about 200 positions, mostly lifeguards. They will train employees in water safety and first aid. Apply here.
- You can also browse local job listings geared toward students and young adults here.