News

Actions

Residents don't want people to forget about Phoenix Serial Street Shooter

Posted: 11:18 PM, Sep 16, 2016
Updated: 2016-09-17 20:31:28Z

It's been two months since the most recent incident police have connected to the Phoenix Serial Street Shooter.

"When I come home late, I make sure to check my surroundings. But it's not the first thought I think about every day," said Mario Castilleja, who lives near some of the shooting scenes. "Every now and then I'll think about it."

FULL COVERAGE: Phoenix serial shootings

The mood has changed in Maryvale, site of six of the nine confirmed locations tied to the serial shooter.

The streets are quiet, as people push back the memories of what it was like a few months ago when police were investigating one shooting after another in connection with the case. So far, seven people have been killed and four others injured.

Police said Friday there had been no new major developments as investigators continue to work the case.

The most recent shooting in the series happened on July 11--more than two months ago. Police say the shooter fired at a red Honda near 32nd Street and Oak, with bullets barely missing a 4-year-old inside.

Experts say the reasons for him going dark could be the media attention. But he also could already be in jail for an unrelated crime or he just left town. Either way, families don't want people to forget.

 

A $75,000 Silent Witness reward is being offered for any information leading to an arrest.

Report a typo