Phoenix woman survives brutal attack

Posted at 9:55 PM, Apr 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-19 03:16:44-04

A Phoenix woman is recovering after police say her estranged husband broke into their home and attacked her with a knife.

The woman’s parents are speaking out to ABC15, calling their daughter a “hero” and a “survivor” for making it through the bloody ordeal. The victim's parents say the man slashed their daughter's throat three to four times and stabbed her repeatedly.

WARNING: Video contains graphic images.

According to court records, Aaron James Emerick is facing attempted second degree murder charges for the attack that took place last month near 7th Street and Bell Road.

Emerick had moved out of the apartment but he came back, entered through an unlocked patio door, armed with a knife.

Police said he slit the victim's throat with the knife and fled. The victim ran out after the attack and flagged down a neighbor for help.

Her parents Beverly Lundberg and Steve Gould got the call in the middle of the night.

“The whole world stops. I think I just started bawling, started crying right away,” said Lundberg.

The victim’s parents said they had seen the tension escalating between the couple since they filed for divorce in January.  Most of the abuse had been verbal abuse. Gould said he never thought his estranged son-in-law would be capable of something like this.

“No, I didn’t because I didn’t have confidence in his ability to do anything,” said Gould.

Lundberg spent the next day by her daughter’s hospital bed. Her daughter was able to recount the horrific attack in detail.

“She said he would keep stopping, and looking at her with his head cocked. No feeling in there, just watching her. Just tilted his head and watched her. She was just begging for him to stop,” said Lundberg.

Her parents described her survival as a miracle.

“She’s a hero, she’s my hero. I don’t know where that strength came from. She just kept saying she didn’t want to leave her babies without a mama,” said Lundberg.

Police reports state the victim had just taken out an Order of Protection against the suspect.

The victim’s parents said Emerick had broken into her apartment once before, saying he had trashed the place and relieved himself on his estranged wife’s bed and clothes. Police did not charge with him a crime because his name was still on the lease of the apartment.

Since the attack, the victim has lost her job which she had just started. Family members said her medical bills are in the thousands and she has a long road of recovery ahead.  

If you would like to help, you can donate to the victim's GoFundMe account.

Domestic Violence advocates say, even after getting a restraining order, victims should take steps to protect themselves. Lock doors, set alarms, and let loved ones know where you are. Let your co-workers know what is going on and have someone escort you to your vehicle.

RELATED: Valley woman attacked despite having restraining order