A Phoenix family made it out of their mobile home safely Friday morning after it caught fire, and they’re calling one of their family members a hero.
It happened at a mobile home park near 27th Avenue and Indian School Road.
Walking through his home, David Pedraza realizes nothing is left after the fire. But his most prized possessions are standing safely outside.
"That's all I care about. As long as we're safe, this doesn't really matter,” Pedraza said.
His morning began with terror when a fire started inside his sister's room--trapping her.
"It woke me up out of nowhere because she just kept screaming. I guess she couldn't get to the door. So I just knocked the door down, and I got her out,” Pedraza said.
His wife and two young kids, who were in another room, made it out safely.
"To me, I mean, he's a hero for doing that--thinking so quickly,” Minerva Graham Arvizu said about her son-in-law.
The family says a candle may have been the culprit.
The teen couldn't see the way out with smoke filling the room.
"She couldn't get out. I mean she was basically crawling by the door when I broke the door down,” Pedraza said.
She was treated for smoke inhalation and is OK.
His family's safety was Pedraza’s only thought: "Just get them out. I didn't care about shoes, clothes, nothing."
Sadly, the family's puppy did not make it out of the fire.
A GoFundMe campaign has been started for the family to help recoup their losses. They say the home is a total loss and they have no insurance to cover the damage.
6 people made it out of the mobile home fire. The family hasn't been able to find their puppy. pic.twitter.com/hGIAGLleAk
— Raquel Cervantes (@RaquelABC15) January 29, 2016