Monsoon storms don't just damage your home. There's another intruder that needs to be top of mind this time of year.
We're talking about mold. It's caused by untreated water damage from the moisture trapped in your roof, ceilings, walls and windows. It can also grow from items that have been wet for an extended period of time or flooding.
So, how do you avoid it?
We went to the experts at Rocky Mountain Restoration, who say there's one big reason our monsoon storms can cause expensive mold damage in your home.
"They don't take care of it," says Corwin Smith, President of Rocky Mountain Restoration. "The EPA has given guidelines of 24 to 48 hours to get the property dry to prevent any kind of mold growth."
Many people don't realize mold can even grow in your roof. So, the experts suggest you get your home inspected.
By the way, mold doesn't just cause structural damage. It can also lead to respiratory health issues.