Following the rain on Monday and Tuesday, the Flood Control District of Maricopa County offers steps that residents of the Valley can take after flooding occurs.
The FCD advises those who suffered flooding to their property to:
- Take photos and videos to document the damage and make a list of all items damaged, destroyed or lost.
- Call an insurance agent and ask about flood insurance or how to file a claim.
- Ensure that the area is safe before beginning to clean.
- Wear appropriate safety gear whie cleaning and removing items.
To prepare for the next flood, the FCD also offers residents some cautionary steps:
- Create a communication plan to keep in contact with friends and family. Determine a meeting place in the event that people become separated.
- Assemble an emergency kit that includes food, water, first aid and necessary medication.
- Identify an evacuation route.
- Purchase flood insurance.
- Prepare the property by obtaining required building permits to ensure the structure is able to withstand drainage conditions and keep materials like sandbags, plywood and plastic sheeting on hand to make quick repairs during the storm.
For more information on preparing for floods, visit the Flood Control District's website.