Looking to do something different? Perhaps have a personal valet serve you champagne as you meander through the Verde Valley? Maybe make friends with a friendly bald eagle named Sonora?
You'll find the Verde Canyon Railroad train depot located close to the mining town of Jerome. Head to Clarkdale for a relaxing adventure through rich terrain where eagles soar from the edges of deep red cliffs.
Watch the video above to explore Arizona's Longest-Running Nature Show!
The famous Verde Canyon Railroad was closed to the public during the stay-at-home order. Now that the order has been lifted, the site reopened on July 1, 2020.
Verde Canyon Railroad's Official Coronavirus Precaution Statement:
Verde Canyon Railroad has always practiced a high standard of cleanliness. In consideration of the recent virus outbreak additional sanitizers and disinfectants have been added to each train car, restrooms and food prep areas. Gloves will continue to be worn when preparing and serving all food products. Daily cleaning crews will continue to service our property prior to every train departure.
Teresa Propeck, the Director of Marketing, shared extra precautions the VCR is taking:
- Following all CDC recommendations
- Listening to Governor's conference calls and press conferences for latest safety instructions
- Installing shields at all retail counters, bars onboard the train and for the onboard cafe as well
- Practicing physical distancing
- Offering the customers options for specific arrival times to pick up their tickets to keep the flow of foot traffic moving
- The famous appetizer spread in first class will now be pre-packaged and sealed for individual enjoyment
- Customers are welcome to wear their own masks and masks will be available for patrons upon arrival, however, they will not be required
- All employees will be wearing masks and gloves
- Temperatures of customers will be taken upon arrival
For the foreseeable future:
Sonora the eagle along with her rescued raptor friends from Liberty Wildlife will be on the patio floor for an educational presentation like they have been for the past ten years. They will not be on the train for the immediate future.
OF NOTE: As Arizona begins the reopening process, we are taking some virtual tours of the unique spots our state has to offer. This article is meant to be informative and fun -- a way to learn about our beautiful state from the comfort of your home!