Called one of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona, the Chapel of the Holy Cross sits on the edge of Sedona and is a site that attracts millions of visitors from around the world.
Completed in April of 1956, the chapel was built as a dream of world traveler Marguerite Staude. She was inspired by the construction of the Empire State Building after seeing a cross in the iron beams as the skyscraper was built.
Watch ABC15 Mornings every day this week for more family-friendly getaways!
After trying to build the chapel at a few different sights, Staude had moved to Sedona and saw the "Madonna & Child" rock formation in the Arizona red rocks and knew this was the place.
"After she saw that Madonna and Child, that was her inspiration from God to say, this where the chapel needed to be built," said Betty McGinnis, Director of Facilities at the Chapel of Holy Cross.
At the cost of $300,000 and in only a year's time, the chapel was finished and today welcomes close to two million visitors every year.
The Chapel of the Holy Cross is open seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., only closed on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
If you want to check it out for yourself, it's located at 780 Chapel Road in Sedona.
See previous Tracking Trierweiler stories:
- Take a look inside Arizona's airplane graveyard
- South Mountain TV towers: Security and safety a top concern
- Inside look at Sky Harbor's air traffic control tower
- Scottsdale mine could have $60M inside
- Behind the scenes at Craig Jackson's car shop